Wednesday, June 20, 2012

To the 1950’s in a time machine


~An Article from "Women's DongA" 7/16/10 :
To the 1950’s in a time machine

“Alcheonrang” Seunghyo Lee Becomes a Soldier Actor Seunghyo Lee (30), nicknamed “Alcheonrang” for a while, was recently cast in a war drama. He will be in a remake of “Comrades” which was aired in 1975.

The drama is a story about soldiers with different backgrounds fighting in the Korean War, sharing a friendship thicker than blood. At the production presentation held in early June, Lee looked tired due to five days of sleepless filming, but his eyes were shining. “The tougher it gets, the happier I feel.” he said while smiling brightly. “I took a break for a couple of months after “Queen Seonduk.” Lee said. "During my free time, I like to take short trips. I went to Japan this time, but before long, I wanted to start working and acting again.”

Lee used to work at a company after graduating from his university, and later debuted as an actor. He was 26 at the start of his acting career, which was regarded as a little too old for a new actor. His first role was in “Dae Jo Young.” He continued in his career and developed his acting skills scrupulously in “The Strongest Chil Woo,” “Two Wives” and “Queen Seonduk.”

While other actors of his age prefer contemporary dramas, Lee chose to act in historical pieces instead. “It’s because I chose this job in order to be an actor, not to be a star.” he said. “Because I didn’t learn how to act properly and debuted late, I wanted to learn how to act step-by-step from other experienced actors. My favorite genre is science fiction, but in reality, that genre can’t be made easily in Korea. I  can’t do anything but wait.”

He was reunited with Sujong Choi in this drama after 3 years. Lee used to act in “Dae Jo Young,” where Choi played a general from Goguryeo and Lee played a commander from Kitan. Now they meet again as a squad leader and a private who share a strong bond of friendship. Lee says that Sujong Choi, who is in his late 40s, encourages him by not getting tired in spite of tough filming circumstances.

Filming the battle scenes tired Lee out, but he smiled and said,
“I think I’ve gained weight while filming. I don’t take special care for my body, but I recover my strength by eating.
I was surprised to find that I gained 7 kg after “Queen Seonduk.”  I managed to lose weight, but I’m afraid I’m getting fat again while shooting this drama. A few days ago, Sujong had a scene where he had to lift and carry me on his shoulders. He said nothing but looked so exhausted. I was very sorry for him.” Filming battle scenes was familiar to Lee, who used to serve in the Joint Security Area and had to undergo intense training. He said, however, that scenes with firing and showering shells were very difficult despite being repeated many times while filming. “The staffs plant shells here and there, and we need to memorize where they are if we don't want to hurt ourselves. It’s more important than memorizing the .” Lee said.

The most memorable scene for Lee was the massive shooting scene against North Korean soldiers. A shell exploded right beside him and broken pieces flew into his eyes, nose and mouth causing a lot of pain. He hopes that nobody will get hurt in the process of filming and that “Comrades” will be as successful as his previous drama.
cr: hyojan dcinside[/b]

No comments:

Post a Comment